Saturday, November 04, 2006

Thank God That's Over

So we're back. Let me just say that I never want to spend a whole week in the keys again. Yea, it was pretty out on the water and all, but just not for me. So there was some kind of catastrophe every day we were there....

We got there Sunday to check in. His grandparents paid for our hotel for us as a wedding gift (YAY for grandparents). Well it seems they don't allow you to check into a hotel under someone else's credit card without some kind of form filled out. Never mind that his grandmother told them she was booking it for someone else when she made the reservations.....So anyway, we had to give them my card so they'd let us check in until we could get ahold of his grandmother to straighten the whole thing out. We went out to eat, and then came back and went to bed.

Monday we went out shopping and touring around the town for the day. Not too bad, until we got back to the hotel and I realized my battery light was on. Yes folks, my alternator took a shit and the husband had to change it right there in the hotel parking lot.

Tuesday we took a catamaran out to the Dry Tortugas. It was pretty cool, we went snorkeling and stuff. That is, it was pretty cool till we realized we forgot the sunscreen and both of us got burnt like lobsters. We did get some really cool underwater pics though, when I get them developed I'll try and post some.

Wednesday we decided to do some more shopping. The first two stores we go to my card gets declined. So at this point I'm freaking out cause I know I have money, and his grandmother called Monday morning and got the whole room thing straightened out. So I call the bank, and come to find out, the hotel never released the hold on my card for the room. Yea, that was a blast!!! So finally after a bunch of harrasing cell phone calls in the rain under an awning, it gets straightened out and we go home. Well it seems the hotel felt bad after getting screamed at by a very angry grandmother and decided we needed a bottle of sparkling wine. Which was nice, except I can't drink it.

Thursday we go out walking around for more shopping and site seeing. We get into Sloppy Joe's right before it starts POURING. Then we hear the people at the table next to us talking about sandbags at the door as we're getting up to leave and we're like, yea right, they don't know what they're talking about. Then we notice the inch deep water on the floor in the restaurant. So we go over to the gift shop to get me a t-shirt, and sure enough, there's sand bags at the entrance, and the water in the street is about knee deep. So then we had to wade through all that water, in the rain, to get back to the parking garage where my car was parked. Then we have to sit in the garage for an hour waiting for the water to go down so we can drive back to the hotel.

Needless to say, we checked out early on Friday. But we can say we've been to the keys now.....