Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It Gets Worse.........

So being the good consumer I am, I downloaded my yearly free credit reports yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I find on my Experian report, a section called "alternate social security number" and it shows my jackass exes number there. WTF!? First of all, what is an "alternate SSN"? I just don't even understand why that would exist. Secondly, this must be why I keep getting phone calls from debt collectors looking for him. Thirdly - how does this bode for consumer protection? Why would you EVER put someone's SSN on another person's report where someone OTHER THAN THE OWNER CAN SEE IT?! So I immediately come to the conclusion that if his is on mine, then mine is probably on his. THIS IS VERY BAD. I DON'T TRUST HIM IN THE SLIGHTEST. Not that he would be smart enough to figure out how to run his credit report, but I digress.

So I call them up. And express my concern and that they should remove his number from my credit report. Ok fine, we can do that - is there anything else we can help you with?

Why yes, there is. You can make sure my number is not on his, and if it is, remove it.

I'M SORRY MA'AM WE CAN NOT DO THAT.

Huh?!

What do you mean you can not do that?

Well, we have to have his permission to access his account.

Well - you're not going to get it because A) I don't know how to contact him and B) We left each other on bad terms so even if I did, he probably wouldn't do it. Anyways, it's a moot point because it's MY social security number, and I didn't give him permission to have access to it.

She kept insisting so I asked to speak with a supervisor. She insisted the supervisor would say the same thing. I said I don't give a shit, let me talk to her right now. So she put me on hold.

She came back a few minutes later (NOT the supervisor) to inform me I would have to obtain a COURT ORDER to get my SSN removed from his report.

WTF? How in the HELL does that protect my privacy as a consumer! I cussed her out. I couldn't help it, I was PISSED. So I went online to the FTC and filed a complaint. I am not sure what to do at this point. Someone suggested I call back today and ask to speak to a supervisor from the get go and try again. I just don't know if that will work but I guess I will try. Anyone have any other suggestions?